One concept of demand I have contemplated in my daily life is the utility of a product. The utility of a product is the usefulness of that product. When thinking about utility, my cellular phone came into mind. When I chose to buy a new phone, I demanded a certain utility out of whatever product I was going to buy. These included; the latest hardware features, (number of processor cores, amount of RAM, storage, multi-touch technology, design and durability, etc) as well as a number of the latest software features (phone calling, text messaging, GPS, games, etc) all at the lowest price possible. I could have bought a Apple iPhone, which is a phone which does most of what I wanted, as well as being a popular phone in American culture, but was in my opinion over priced for the utility offered. However, I found that there were many more phones were offered by other manufacturer which had more utility, at a lower price. The phone I went with was the Motorolla Droid Razr MAXX, which had all of the utility that I demand, had heavy protection (being made out of kevlar), at a relatively lower price.
Having made this choice, I will continue to demand a certain level of utility in whichever cellular phone I choose to buy later on in life. I believe it makes the most financial, as well as utilitarian sense. Most people who choose to buy whatever the latest iPhone is, and thus the corporation is in full control of how much utility each of the newest iPhones has. Since the only think people demand is the name brand of "iPhone".
Is popularity and trendiness a utility of a product?
No comments:
Post a Comment